Monday, July 13, 2009

Working On It

by Pat Antonopoulos

You are responsible.
That was a mantra during a time when 'mantra' would have needed definition. Probably dangled on the coat tails of the Catholic doctrine of Original Sin. Adam and Eve did the crime---and it lasted for all time.

Actually, teaching grade school believers that they could make a difference (and had to accept responsibility) produced some caring givers who truly lived making that difference. Of course, I am not saying that a firm Catholic education was the only source of devotion to reaching out. Most churches are meeting human needs, both physical and spiritual. A family member recently told me that he went to the Episcopal Church for "all the glory and none of the guilt".

Which brings me to saying the four letter word 'can't'.
"Sorry, but I cannot to that. Wish I could help this time, but I need to say NO."
Firm, right? Clear? No equivocation?

My 'can't' is often chased down by a list of 'shoulds', and I cave. Don't misunderstand and assume that I placing this responsibility on an early education that it at the top of my most-valued-list. The nuns have my admiration and respect. Guessing there are huge piles of psychological reasons why I cannot stand firmly behind my 'can't. Not the least of which is the truth that I become less by doing less--that it IS my responsibility to be responsible. Must be a set of those dilemma horns points poking holes in my resolve.

No comments: