Saturday, July 18, 2009

Frank McCourt

by Pat Antonopoulos

A newspaper paragraph reports that Frank McCourt is seriously ill---a small paragraph without photo or fanfare.

Angela's Ashes, Tis, Teacher Man, accomplishments of both life and talent are first out on my shelf of rereads. I have lost count.

I love these books and feel that connection to the man whose talent shared stories of dedication, perseverance, unimaginable hardship and underpinned by a bit of self mocking humor. I love these books. I ache for Frank and his family. I rage at the newspaper wrapped leavings throw out to the starving by priests with plenty. I salute the courage of little Frank and all others who survived those times. How I would love to sit down with Frank McCourt and listen--not converse--just listen. That face-to-face will never happen, but I can be content with his printed voice.

Our sometimes convoluted public values tend to celebrate the heroes of glitter and sport far more than we celebrate the heroes of life and letters.

I celebrate the life and work of Frank McCourt. I thank him for his work as teacher and writer, for his stories that fill me with admiration for everyone who struggled through Ellis Island with courage and values intact.

Safe journey, Mr. McCourt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a test.