Sunday, July 26, 2009

I'm not the Garage Sale type


by
Patti Dickinson

We had our first garage sale yesterday. And our last.

This was my big idea.

I am a people watcher from way back. What better way to get a glimpse of people up close than to invite them to wander around your driveway, looking through your stuff? Plus, there's nothing wrong with making a little cash.

I wish I could tell you that it was a snap to pull it together. Nope. I had to browbeat kids to get them to go through their stuff for items to sell. Then I had to sort it all and put it on tables that I had to borrow from three different neighbors. That entailed having to figure out how to make the seats in my SUV go down flat. (You know, one person to read the directions aloud, slowly, and the other person fiddling with all the knobs to make something happen with the seats.) Then you need signs. Those cost about $5 each at the hardware store. Then the balloons to attach to each one to grab motorists' attention -- 3 at $3 each. And finally, the trip to the bank to get money to use as change. A wad of singles and some fives, ten dollars worth of quarters.

Some excerpts:

A woman who walked up with a small white, almost furless, overweight dog on a leash. All the way down the driveway this beast is growling. Growling as in I-am-going-to-take-a big-chunk-out-of-your-leg-if-you-get-close-enough. (I am a cat person)

It's hard not to take it personally when someone wanders up, spends 20 minutes ransacking through your stuff, and then throws it back on the table like people do at Macy's annual clearance sale. You know the one where people knock each other to the ground to get what they want.

We had one older woman whose husband parked at the end of our driveway while she came to shop. She wandered from table to table, sniffing almost dismissively. No sale there. She walks back to the car, opens the passenger door and shouts to her perhaps deaf husband, "They didn't have anything!" Sure we did, we had lots of stuff.

And finally, the professional garage sale-ers. These people could sift through a table of mens' shirts like you would shuffle cards. And then want a discount on the already rock bottom $3 price. This drew some smirks from both Wood and Andrew, who both thought that I had overinflated the prices ridiculously, anyway. When we were setting up, Andrew rolled the Nordic Track out. I slapped a $50 price tag on it. "WHAT? $50????? Are you kidding me? That thing is 20 years old!!!" Well, you know how that one ended. Yup, still have it. You can only imagine the funny comments I had to listen to as that thing got rolled back into the garage.

Interesting experience. Now I can say I did it once. But from now on, Goodwill is going to be the recipient of all of our discards......



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garage sales are the worst...too much prep work. I have been giving to the hospice place because they give donations money to a good cause. The name is Top Drawer and is located at 3826 W.
95th st. (95th and Mission). Just an idea. I really enjoyed reading about your book.

Anonymous said...

I'm done with garage sales too. I've done 3 over the last 20 years, and had a Great Time, only b/c I leave my ego out somewhere on Mission Road. But they are a tremendous amount of work, and I have some tales of heartbreak that taught me way too much about humanity. I'm done. (Said that about 5 years ago when I'd held my last one...and then Tom got me involved in the nightmare one for Troop 91 last summer). D-I-V-O-R-C-E would have been a reasonable alternative, dear old Chuck Davis (chainsaw Chuck) helped me through it, after recouping from his broken neck! (sometimes perspective is a good thing). Let's share garage sale horror stories next month when we get together again for a shared supper!

Sara Grier