Friday, July 31, 2009

Eight Blue Eyes


by
Patti Dickinson

Last night we had our book signing at Rainy Day Books in Fairway. Owners Vivien Jennings and her partner Roger manage to pair professional and gracious beautifully. The evening began with running into an old friend, Susan and her husband Bruce. Long ago friends. We go all the way back to high school (and that might even qualify for long, long ago!) And Donna....a friend that has been there for every one of life's big events....I have lost count remembering just how many of our kids she and her husband Larry are godparents for! And Claire....a friend of seven years, who came to show her gentle support. And my kids, who came in one-by-one to say, without words, "Yeah, mom." And Wood. He believed in this book before I did. I'd marry this man all over again.

Inside the store, as we waited for the start time, we were greeted by smiling face after smiling face coming in the door, friends who were sharing our accomplishment.

We were seated behind a table, all four of us. Identical, quick drying pens were distributed. And the signing began. Dozens of folks, asking questions about the how/when/where of this book's conception and birth. One woman said to me, "I read your book already, and I am here to buy two more copies for my daughters. I wanted to come to meet you, because I feel like I already know you all." Wow. That alone would have made the evening. Because that is just exactly what we were aiming for....we wanted women to read our book and think, "Yes, I know just what you mean." or "Yes, I have had that same struggle."

As the evening wound down, as the crowd dwindled, about ten of us were still conversing around the table. One of them said, "Omigosh...do all four of you have blue eyes?"

We do. And we never noticed it before. Hmmmm. A sequel? Eight Blue Eyes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-)