Thursday, October 8, 2009

Tradition

by Pat Antonopoulos

My dad, the second child, was born October 12, 1910, ninety-nine years ago. Within a few months of his birth he was christened in the same delicate white batiste gown preciously worn by his first born sibling. In the late '30's and early 40's, my brothers, sisters and I each had our turn wearing the gown.

In 1959, my first born was baptized in the gown. My four other children were carried to church in this beautiful garment and my dad was lovingly pictured with each new baby. Sadly, Dad died before his great grandchildren were born, but a part of him accompanied them to church.

Five years ago, the little outfit was carefully laundered and ironed so that it could be taken to Poland for the baptism welcoming our newest grandson into the church family. Two years later, Dad was 'present' for another visit to the sacramental font. And now, on Saturday, October 10, our newest grandson will be baptized wearing this 100 year old treasure.

Today, as I ironed the gown, I was surprised by the emotional gift that overwhelmed...amazing. Daddy was with me. Mom, too. My five children... from babies to the wonderful adults they have become... My youngest three grandsons who have filled my retirement with such joy...

One hundred years of family...my heart truly does overflow with gratitude.

No comments: