Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Road Rage

by Pat Antonopoulos

Compared to many newspaper accounts of road rage this, that I witnessed, could be called minor. But it wasn't. It was frightening because a person was so enraged by a relatively small happening.

Narrow country road, beautiful mid-day shadows shaping the curves--
Large SUV moving at 30 mph, the posted limit--
Tiny red car tailgating, seeming to herd the SUV, attempting to force more speed...
SUV dropping a notch or two on the speedometer...
Rear view mirrors 'lost' the red car as it came too close to be seen...
Crossroad marked by a stop sign..too late and too little distance for the car to avoid 'bumping' the SUV...
And it was bump, not a crash or even a hit...

Driver of the SUV angrily approached the driver of the car, raging...
An apology came through the barely opened car window, driver cringing low in the seat..."I am sorry, so sorry...I am sorry...sorry...I am late for an important, Oh, I am so sorry."

"I don't give a d____ if you are sorry or not. You hit me. You have been tailgating me for over a mile. What is your name? Give me your name?"

Eventually, the name was given and the SUV driver returned to the vehicle and the incident was over.

But was it? What depth of anger exploded on that country road? Of course, tailgating is dangerous, but it did look as if the SUV was taunting by size and diminished speed. What need was soothed by shouting demands, all sense of civility gone? Bullying? With an automobile? Proving what?

No comments: