Friday, August 14, 2009

The Sports Page

by Pat Antonopoulos

Most of the sports pages go unread at our house. Skip and skim is the general rule. There was a time when I followed high school games, but kids grow up.

The exception to that light reading was a couple of local columnists. Though I might not know the player names, I did value the perspective of these writers who knew sports right down to the minutia. One writer dropped off my list when I simply could not reconcile his comments that seem to give notables a ' behavior pass' if they knew how to play the game--any game.

Mr. Joe Posnanski's talent is exceptional and his readers (fans) wish him well. After giving the Kansas City fans thirteen years of his writing, Mr. Posnanski has written a farewell letter. He has been hired by "Sports Illustrated". Guess that means I need a magazine subscription to give me the gourmet taste of sports that will be missing from our daily paper.

No comments: