Friday, August 28, 2009

Brass Mirror

by Pat Antonopoulos

Wonder if that is how we see ourselves--through a brass mirror. Contour and color are fine, but detail hovers just beyond recognition. Each of us holds the self image developed as we either ran or stumbled through life's chapters. There is little doubt about what we find unacceptable or even offensive in others. Maybe that brass mirror hides those same faults in ourselves.

Introspection can be wearisome....and even a bit boring if it lingers too long. But change is a challenge and introspection is a sidebar.

Recently something brought a fairly major change---Blindside Blog kind of change. And I have not always grieved this one gracefully.

Anger and blaming have been out of proportion. If I were watching another woman teary eyed and obsessing, she would get my undivided attention and my best effort at comfort. But...as I have watched myself teary eyed and obsessing, I know I need a silvered glass mirror and a "get a grip" deep breath.

One of my self-talk expression is, "On a scale of one to eternity, where does this situation fall?" I am getting closer to honest perspective, but a little peek in that brass mirror just might be the comfort I need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finished the book last night. I know Patti asked us to log on to the blog and report in with comments, and I couldn't see where to do that exactly...so I opted for this forum. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I can tell that some passages were incredibly revealing and painful to write. I have the book full of sticky notes on sections that "spoke" to me, or wherever I found something particularly interesting. I really liked your categories. Made me pause and consider how I would frame an essay on such topics. You ladies have a collective work to be very proud of, and thank you for sharing your insights and wisdom with the rest of your Gentle Readers, as Pat so kindly refers to us!

Sara Grier