Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lemonade?

by Pat Antonopoulos
"When Life Hands You Lemons, Make Lemonade"

Maybe you remember that poster message that was once as common as, "Have a nice day."

For years, I tried living up to that judgment call, that challenge to rise above difficulties through my A+ attitude of gathering the emotional ingredients to transform the problems into something refreshing. More often than not, I succeeded because my life structure provided the rest of the ingredients. I had a satisfying job, a family, the comfort of a home in a safe neighborhood----a pitcher, water, some sugar, a big spoon and ice.

As I look at current family and personal struggles, I would be ashamed to even suggest such a judgmental message as "Make Lemonade". How hurtful to tell a struggling individual that all will be well if they simply adjust their attitude and make that sow's ear into a lovely silk purse. How presumptive to step into their moment and decide that an attitude adjustment would change the circumstances. Even the lemons could be crushed by the weight of many of today's circumstances.
I don't hesitate to redirect a whine or a pout when attitude is self-serving and ruinous to family harmony. It is easy to be caught up in the message of me-first-me-above-all-my-needs. Part of my grandmother work is to gently do that redirect. This is making a 'disciple of'. This is good discipline.
We can all have those days when we personify "Grump" and cleaning up our attitude is required if we want to function with family, friends, co-workers. We see the value in that attitude adjustment.
Respect. Respect for struggles, for circumstances, for a huge lack in life 'ingredients" would leave a much sweeter taste than the admonishment to spin straw into gold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat,

This brought me back to an episode in Paul's K or 1st grade class (where you taught him for 2 years.) I was making lemonade from fresh lemons and bringing them to your class, which I demonstrated, then left you to dish it up later. You were furious with me later when my small dixie cups left with you all had HOLES punched in the bottom!! (I grabbed my gardening cups on the way out the door, to let the roots of new plants grow through)....but 15 years ago I left you high and dry with a classroom of 5 or 6 year olds that wanted to taste that delicious lemonade!! I'll never forget your reprimand; and I've never confused the two going forward!!

Thanks for the laugh of rememberance! (and b/c I've kept diaries all my life, I've "got proof" of the transgression!)

Sara Grier (Pistorius)

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, Sara. Say your diary had a misprint.
"Furious with you". Can I mea culpa now and ask for you to make lemonade of my huge lemon? How could anyone be furious with Parent As Teacher, taking the time to visit the classroom and demonstrate new learning? What were 22 dribbled shirts and confused little faces compared to the absolute fun the kids were probably having when they realized the cups didn't work! Late, but still very sincere...I am sorry for being a grump.

Anonymous said...

I laughed at your response, but I "promise", while it was in real mode, you were NOT entertained!! I laugh looking back, but at the time I felt so chastized.

Pat, you were one of the best teachers and shining lights for my son and his first two years of instruction. I am so grateful to you for everything you did for this class of 'boys'
You were the exemplary teacher, this one incident is what makes me laugh!