Saturday, March 21, 2009

Gutter Ball

by
Patti Dickinson


At first, I felt some trepidation about venturing into the political blogging arena. I am not a feather-ruffler, nor do I like that verbal combat that often ensues when everyone has a different opinion. Leaves me exhausted and ready for a nap.

Thursday night. Jay Leno. Barack Obama as the guest. I didn't see it live, by 10:30 pm I am showered and snuggled in bed with my husband and a book. But I watched it the next day on U-Tube. I listened to the news the next morning, and heard all the static about Obama's comment comparing his bowling ability with Special Olympics.

WHAT?????  

The only bright side to this whole thing is that there are folks, and plenty of them, who are outraged.

Some in the press called this a "gaffe".  Webster's defines that as "a socially awkward act".  A socially awkward act is picking your nose, or chewing with your mouth open, chewing gum at church or not flushing.  

I would call the Jay Leno incident degrading, insensitive and a reflection on the character of Obama.  Way out of the league of a simple "gaffe".  "Gaffes" don't diminish others. 

I am not entirely sure why we give our leaders a pass based on our emotional reaction to them. Why is it that we don't hold our leaders to high standards anymore?  Not higher-than-average standards, mind you, high standards.  

We watch a steady dose of late-night television, that's depends for its very life on put-downs that pass for humor.  And the laugh track laughs. 

I once bowled a 118.  Career high.  Lousy bowling.  Just that and nothing more.           

No comments: