Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In The Moment

by Pat Antonopoulos

Granted, the past is relegated to the unchangeable.
No do-overs, no rewinds.
Not even slightly erased, unless time does the dimming.
Not obliterated, but unreachable.
And the future?
Try to control that bit of life and see how many times those lines blur into unplanned and unforeseen.
So we are left with the moment.
And I don't even know what that means.
This second-to-minute that I am typing? Do I make this my 'moment'?
But family is waiting for a meal.
A nagging injury wants ice water and sympathy.
The to-do list is longer in this moment than it was two moments ago.
An unforeseen business situation looks insurmountable.
So maybe the moment is really this day...this portion of what has been given to me to live and to love.
Maybe the moment is a figment of my mind-set that isn't time related at all.
Even though I am alone in this room, this house, I am surrounded by everyone who matters to me, by every experience that provided me with an understanding that challenge is not synonymous with discouragement.
Maybe living in the moment actually means living in history...personal history, family history, the history of becoming. Now that makes for a most impressive moment.

No comments: