Friday, June 12, 2009

Hand wringing, then hand shaking


by
Patti Dickinson

Yesterday morning I got up with a huge knot in my stomach. Looked in the mirror and saw the result of three continuous days of Kansas humidity. Fuzz hair.

Big day today. Our first ever book signing. Today three of the four authors of Four Ordinary Women were going to Keeler Women's Center to talk about women's friendship, and the why, when, where and how of this book writing journey. We were a wreck. All three of us. I left the house without my purse. No driver's license (and probably the only time in the last six months that I drove exactly the speed limit there and back all the while praying that I didn't have an expired tag!!!). Nine pennies in the cup holder in my car. Good thing I wasn't a Boy Scout. The two other authors forgot their outlines.

We stood at the front of the room as people came in. There was a nice sign-in sheet, not a xeroxed plain piece of white paper. Papers with a pink logo, some pens nearby and a small vase of fresh flowers. What a nice quiet, no-fuss way to welcome authors and participants. I felt the knot loosening. And then the participants came. Kind, encouraging faces....extended hands, many taking my hand in both of theirs (don't you just love that?) Making eye contact, and making this initial introduction much more than a way to get from the sign-in sheet to a chair.

We were introduced, talked, answered questions, read from the book....all the expected stuff. But what wasn't expected was the feeling lingering in the air. The we're-happy-for-your-success, we-appreciate-you-being-here, we-are-happy-to-have-spent-this-time-with-you. This group didn't follow the sum-is-greater-than-the-parts adage. No, the parts, each and every person present, were great all by themselves. It was just terrific to be in a roomful of them. Strangers all.

I hope that some of them will read this....I want them to know that they are the most gracious and genuine group of people that I have ever had the pleasure to share time with. God bless you all.









No comments: