Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"New York, New York....."


by
Patti Dickinson

Twenty-four hours from now Wood and I will be seat-belted into our Midwest Airlines seats and heading to New York.  With any luck at all, our suitcases will be in the cargo area of the same plane.  After a week of maniacal chore accomplishment to prepare to leave town, including, but not limited to, stocking the kitchen with kid-friendly food -- spaghetti O's, the ingredients to make salsa, four gallons of milk (it's where my kids get most of their nutrition) HoHo's and pistachio nuts. Plants are watered. The kids have some pizza/pool/movie money.  Our suitcases are packed, the kids have been told that this better not be the location of the next party that includes three zip codes, and that I want no phone calls asking me to put so-and-so on the phone to tell so-and-so that their music is too loud, that they've been in the shower for too long and used all the hot water (this happened last time we were out of town....the kid who called stood outside the bathroom door banging on it, shouting to the kid in the shower that "Mom is on the phone and wants to talk to you now." or that so-and-so has left toothpaste globs in the sink (me?  I'm glad someone is brushing their teeth!)  

We are going to New York to attend the NYC Book Expo.  It is there that our book Four Ordinary Women will be introduced.  I will get to hold the book in my hands for the first time. Not the galley, the real deal. Years of work, with three other women. There are days when I feel like I am living a dream.  I have always been a "writer".  I wrote some really bad poetry in high school, and have always enjoyed writing the kids notes....to cheer them up, to celebrate an accomplishment, or tucked into their suitcase when they are heading to summer camp, opening their lunch at school, or being dropped off at their dorm.  Words can heal, encourage, make you laugh, dry tears.

Heading for the City that never sleeps.......

3 comments:

Kathleen Dickinson said...

Glad I'm not the kid babysitting this weekend! Have a good trip and I can't wait to hear all about it!

~Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm finally able to post a comment. I want to celebrate with each of you 4 women for this defining moment! I've won Silver and Bronze Quills this year and last from IABC for Annual Reports I've prodcued for JPMorgan Chase, and it means everything to be acknowledged by other writers for what you do. I am behind you 1000% for doing what you love and being recognized for it!!! BRAVO to you and you'll see me at your book signings.

Sara Grier

Anonymous said...

Holding down the fort. hope you guys are having fun. love you. and those notes are so appriciated and treasured :)

mm