Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cleaning out the Freezer


by
Patti Dickinson

We have had some interesting meals this week.  I am a woman on a mission. It's time to get the freezer emptied of some food. Every time one of the kids opens the freezer, six Lean Cuisines and a frozen chuck roast fall out on the floor.  So -- last night I defrosted something beef-related. I could tell by the color. Maroon.  So I thought we would just grill whatever this was when it defrosted. I don't label what goes in the freezer, because I always think I will remember. Turns out that it was stew meat. Beef-in-precut-pieces. Hmmm. No time to prepare stew.  So we had shish-kabobs.  Not the usual kind of visually pleasing skewers alternating meat-green pepper-red pepper-onion-maybe-pineapple-if-we-have-it.  Nope.  Had an onion, and did an alternating meat-onion pattern.  A little salt and pepper.  Called it dinner. If there were a food version of "What not to Wear", this would have been it.  "What not to Cook."

The night before that we had chicken drumettes.  Broiled them, and doused them with "Cookies Wings-and-Things".  (Could have bought Hooter's Sauce, but since I don't subscribe to the Hooter's Restaurant philosophy....well, that's another blog for another time.  Can't get into that now.)  The drumettes weren't bad.  Not good either.  About a four on the how-good-is-dinner scale.  

But the freezer is emptying.  There is room again.  All the Lean Cuisines have their own shelf. Nothing falls out when the door is opened.  I told the kids I was not baking one more batch of brownies or making any more pudding until the Rainbow Sherbert, Cookies and Cream ice cream and the fudge-sicles are eaten.  And the push ups (not the bra variety, but the frozen confection of sugar overload).  All seventeen of them.  (All grape, because everyone likes the lemon and cherry flavors better.)

The kids have been funny.  Now that we have a three night pattern going here, they warily ask what is for dinner.  My middle schooler is packing her lunch. Construction worker kind of lunches.  Not too sure what dinner is going to be like so she makes sure that she is good and full mid-day!
  

   

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this! My freezer is teetering in the same direction, but only b/c I joined a CSA (community supported agriculture) co-op a couple of years ago. I joined Parker Farms out of Richmond and they provide us with organic meats and eggs. I no longer buy animal products from grocery stores, but adore going to the 'farm' to pick up what we eat. I only get to the 'farm' physically once or twice yearly. We all trade off the delivery aspect. (Thankfully, cooking is my hobby. Never a Lean Cuisine or frozen meal has darkened my freezers! But I loved the description that 'maroon' meant it must be beef!)

I just work with the lamb, pork, and chicken that I receive, and have fun checking out the internet for new recipes.

Loved seeing Pat at the WWV reunion for teachers and students that I crashed Wednesday afternoon. Wasn't supposed to be there, but ....
I didn't care one whit....with my last child heading out the door. Fun to catch up with old teachers and librarians and 18 year olds that I only knew as elementary kids.

Sara