Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wii Wondering

by
Pat Antonopoulos



A mother of a five year old boy believes in trikes and Big Wheels and I shout 'Bravo'. She follows that with the belief that Wii promotes exercise and I revisit my memory of two young nephews playing with a Christmas gift Wii. Following that experience, I saw two older relatives using the same activities. Both experiences took me right to that place where I store all my rationalizations from my children's growing years.

My relatives used the game for baseball, tennis, bowling and more play after I left the room. Their arms got a nice waving workout and they moved a bit from the waist. The activities lacked the impact of muscle with racket, bat, whatever.

Contrast Wii activities with the fresh air, sunshine and actual running on a tennis court. Consider hitting a baseball and all-out focus on rounding the bases, being part of a team. Feel the power of pounding a serve across the volleyball net. The bend and stretch of bowling coupled with handling the weight of the ball just does not balance with holding the Wii control and watching a TV screen.

Granted, it was fun to watch the kids enjoy yet another electronic toy. And each of these relatives is very active in age appropriate sports plus enjoying the trikes and bikes for the sheer exhilaration of challenging their own abilities. The sport exercise came long before the electronic board game called Wii.

My doubts extend to the belief that playing a game on Wii will carry a child into the actual sport by creating interest through the TV game. Wii is couch potato compared to smacking a ball across the net or racing to make that third out catch.

There is a place for Wii and the laughter and fun associated with it is good for family and friends. But the benefits of real exercise are so much more than laughter and fun. Perhaps every hour spent on Wii should be matched with an hour of true physical exercise and at least one hour with a book. That would approach balance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat,

You are SO Right. I tried Wii over T'Giving at my brother's house in Tulsa, but seriously, it was NOT everything cracked up to be! Yes, it's fun for folks in retirement centers to be able to bowl (as evidenced by my Mom)but honestly, nature gives us much more than we ever really notice.

PUSH those kids outdoors, at any and all costs!

Sara Grier
Mom of senior Paul Pistorius (who you taught for 2 years at the start of his education)